In case you're wondering, there are no pictures of the failure. I'm still hoping to salvage it so the hardware doesn't go to waste.
So. Firstly, the shoulder straps. The shape was utterly and abysmally wrong, I don't even know how to describe how they were wrong. they were too long so they didn't rest on my shoulders. The arm hole was too small so the edges cut in to both the front and back of my arm. They were just so, so wrong. Too wrong for me to fix. They weren't a fixable problem, they were a cut-those-fuckers-off-and-start-from-scratch problem. So that was bad enough, because the shape of the corset around my arms was cut around those, so the boning is too long in places to cut them off. However, all this could be fixed with some time and effort. Trim the fabric, trim the bones, resew hems, and so on. There is however, a bigger problem.
I trimmed down the pattern I used.
Now, I had mentioned the wide hips problem of the previous two more recent corsets. Here's the thing I have come to understand: That wasn't caused by the pattern being too wide in the hips. I know, weird, right? I have discovered however that the real problem is the waist. You see, I didn't just cut down the hips, I trimmed the waist a bit more just for fun. I thought, hey, my waist is squishy, let's see if we can reduce by more than two inches!
Spoiler Alert: I can't.
And the result of having a waist that I can't lace tight enough is a hips and ribs section that don't fit. The fit of this failed corset was a tight cord around my waist and a hip and rib section that didn't even touch my body. my torso felt like a clapper in a bell. Now, if I got in to waist training and tight lacing I could probably train my waist to fit this corset, but I'm not going to do that. Corsets are fun, occasional wear for me, not 23 hours a day never take it off deform my body wear.
The moral of the story is, there is a point at which I cannot squish my waist anymore, and I must respect that point or my corsets will not fit.
So, after learning this lesson, and angrily throwing the corset in a corner (I must salvage that hardware, I'm not letting it go to waste. I'm just too angry to look at it now.) I retraced my pattern, left some of the hip width, and smoothed out that waist curve a bit more reasonably. And this story has a happy ending. The result was this:
My 6th corset.Oh. My. God.
I realize this doesn't look much different from my other corset pictures, but that's because you can't feel the difference. This sucker molds so beautifully to my shape with a PERFECT waist shape. This is a single layer corset, which was a new experience for me. I splurged on some real coutil, professional corset maker's fabric. Since it was just gonna be a single layer I wanted to use the strong, good stuff. The seams were sewn to the outside, seam allowances on the outside sewn down and used as boning channels, with satin ribbon sewn over to hide the ragged edges. The bust shape was resculpted to curve just right, and OH MY GOD THE WAIST. THE FUCKING WAIST. That perfectly smooth curve. The ribs and the hips fit perfectly, and my shape is just.... god. it's just perfect. After putting this on I spent half an hour putting on all my slim form fitting clothes I'm usually too self conscious to wear and nearly crying because I looked SO GOOD in them. My pattern is FLAWLESS. I'm so fucking happy. And because it's a single layer corset, there's no liner for me to fuck up, so the inside is also gorgeous. Not quite perfect, there's a few places where I had issues with the ribbon binding the edges, but pretty good. Binding is so hard...
Anyways, I'm pleased with myself. I feel it is an excellent recovery from the failed corset.
(also, I apologize for the excessive use of caps and profanity... I may be working on a bottle of wine all by myself tonight... which means I'm sorry enough to apologize, but NOT SORRY ENOUGH TO FUCKING TAKE IT OUT! AHAHAHAHA!)