Thursday, April 18, 2013

Granny Square jacket is done!

so, it's finally done, with only a few minor hiccups.  The body of the jacket was plenty long enough, but the sleeves did need lengthening.  so the sleeves are five squares long, instead of four.  also, to avoid bagginess in the arms I did reduce it to three rows wide instead of four.  I was worried about it being tight in the armpits, but the squares have plenty of stretch, so that's not a problem at all.  These changes did mean that I didn't use one of the sets of godets I made for the sleeves, and I have four squares leftover instead of two.  not sure what I'm going to do with that.  I severely underestimated how long assembly would take, but I guess it makes sense.  it is a jacket made up of a bunch of small pieces that needed to be sewn together.  and I ran out of black yarn, AGAIN.  very annoyed.  last time I knew it was coming and ordered more in plenty of time, this time I wasn't ready, so I had to just let it sit so close to finished while I waited for's INSANELY SLOW SHIPPING.  only time in my life I've wished I paid more for shipping so I'd get it faster.  all I had left was about half of the body edging, and the edging for the sleeves.  so in all, it took 1 1/2 skeins of the colors, and 8 1/2 of the black.  way more than I thought.

Caleb hates it though.  I think that's funny.  he doesn't like hippie style things, and is definitely not a fan of mixing crazy bright colors like this. ah well.  I love it.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New Rinoa Project

So, if you remember, I mentioned this other project when I was working on my duster.  I wanted to create this outfit of Rinoa's from some fanart I found.  I love this version of Rinoa's outfit.  And, since I ran out of black yarn RIGHT BEFORE THE END of my granny jacket and need something else to do while I wait for the rest of my yarn to ship to me, I decided to work on this.  Already have the armwarmers, obviously.  I have half a dozen black tank tops I can use for this.  I had a plain denim skirt, but it recently came to my attention that the skirt was sitting badly and causing some self conciousness issues that didn't need to be there so I got rid of it.  So I need a new one, but that's not hard.  And I have a plain black belt.  I can't tell what the neclace is, something with wings, I don't know.  I have a necklace that is a winged heart, and I decided to order a Griever necklace, even though she's clearly not wearing Griever, just cuz it's cool and would be appropriate.  I'll figure out something for the bracelet.  Her legs are hard, there's not much to see there.  it looks like some kind of leggings with zippers, or stockings, or it may even be thigh high boots.  Not sure.  I may just do my own thing with thigh high stockings and something else for shoes.  thigh high boots, while awesome, and I do want some, are a bit out of my reach.  Stockings are much easier.  The shrug, of course, I am knitting.  I found a pattern that was simple enough, and close to the right shape.  I had to sit and redo all the math for the number of stitches and rows and whatnot, cuz I'm using the same yarn and needles I did for the duster.  so now, once again, I am knitting and purling on tiny, tiny needles.  sigh....

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Granny Takes a Trip

So, finally almost there with my granny square jacket.  I love the way my colors look.  the picture is the squares all laid out the way the pattern says to.  It took so long to make all those squares and it was SOOOO tedious.  they're not terribly interesting squares, and there's so many... I did the godets for the sleeves in pink, grapefruit, yellow and teal. I also kinda obsessed over the color arrangements, trying to make sure that there were no two squares the same.  I wrote out color orders and planned it.  somehow I still ended up with two sets that were the same.  I was very disappointed.  So of course I made new ones.

and after laying it out and doing some math I realized the sleeves were going to be way short.  the body is a bit shorter than I want it too.  So I"m adding a row to the sleeves, possibly the body too, I haven't decided yet.  And I've reduced the sleeves to three rows wide, instead of four.  They were going to be really loose and baggy.  My only concern is that now the armpits could be too tight. If that's the case though,. I'm pretty sure I could make some more of the triangle pieces to loosen the armpits while still keeping the slimmer arm. Of course, this means I will have one set of godets that goes unused.  Mildly annoying.  Probably the grapefruit ones I think.

still messing with it.