Monday, July 29, 2013

New finished crochet thing!

So, I don't remember if I mentioned it, but last month we drove to Las Vegas for the Magic the Gathering Grand Prix.  It was a lot of fun, crowded, busy, SO MUCH MAGIC.  But I went 5-4, won more rounds than I lost and that's all I wanted.  Anyways, faced with the prospect of a 12 hour drive with my husband and some of our rowdy Magic friends, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep or concentrate on a book, so I decided it was time to start a new project.  I'd really been wanting a crocheted skirt for summer and it just so happened my grandma had just given me a bunch of cheap crappy red heart yarn.  Red Heart is not my first choice of yarn, but I figured since I had it I should use it.  So I started a new skirt.  And here, about a month later, it's done.





Of course, by the time I got to the end of this, I was so bored I was going crazy.  And I was trying to work on this while obsessing over steampunk stuff, so I really didn't want to be working on this.  I made myself finish it, though, cuz I knew I never would if I didn't do it now.  I'm glad I did, the skirt is cute, and fun to wear.  It flares like a flamenco dancer's skirt when I spin, so I spin constantly like a little girl when I wear it.  I went down a size on the pattern because I was worried about stretch, which turns out was a valid concern.  It's a bit snug getting in to right out of the wash, but after about an hour it fits perfectly.  Oh, and the cheap yarn softened up significantly after a round in the washer with some fabric softener. I'm pretty happy with it, even if I got annoyed there towards the end.  The thing took a crap ton of yarn, too, 7 1/2 skeins!  just for a skirt! geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment