Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happy Birthday to me!

It's my birthday! and my husband sent me flowers at work!  Aren't they pretty?  The card with them was amazingly sweet and made me cry.
(willfocus.com is the site of my coworker who is a photographer and took the pics.)


























Also, I do have a new project to post.  I recently decided to learn to read Tarot cards, so I got ahold of a deck (Shadowscapes by Stephanie Pui Mun Law- http://www.shadowscapes.com/index.php- good LORD it's gorgeous. I love this artist) and I wanted a fancy box for it to go in.  So I bought a plain one from the craft store and decided to decorate it.  I'd seen several things on Pinterest about staining wood I wanted to try using tea and steel wool soaked in vinegar.  So I made an absurdly strong cup of tea from some tea I'd bought ages ago, and didn't like.  Bigelow's Constant Comment flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. icky.  The tea painted on the wood as a rather orange color, which concerned me.  I was afraid I was going to end up with an orange box.  However, when I added the coating of vinegar and steel, the son of a bitch turned pitch black.  Not what I expected.  I was hoping for brown.  But black is better than orange.  So I added some decorative gold paint, and using the gel medium for transferring pictures I'd read about, added a Seal of Rassilon (from Doctor Who) to the top.  It looked appropriately Celtic and mystical for a Tarot box, while being completely and utterly nerdy.  I am happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment