Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter




First, after Sailor Moon, I did Sailor Mercury. She's the same as Sailor Moon, except in blue.  Her hair is just the cap part of Sailor Moon's hair without the pigtails and odangos, naturally. I discovered depending on the brand of yarn I'm using the cap may or may not be too big.  Sailor Moon's yarn (Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn) ends up too big.  Mercury's (Caron's Simply Soft) fits perfectly. annoying.  supposedly they're both worsted weight yarn.



Here's Sailor Mars.  Her shoes are just red yarn for the first two rounds of her feet.  Her hair is Ariel's hair with Sailor Moon's bangs- three on each side.  I'm actually a little unhappy with the bangs though, I think they're too short.  So I might go back and extend them a bit.




Here's Sailor Jupiter! Quite a few tweaks here.  For her shoes, I stopped the green once I got to 5 sts around.  and I actually ended up taking a needle and some green yarn and embroidering around the cuff of the boots just to straightened it up.  I used some pink yarn and just tied knots on either side of her head to be her rose earrings. Embroidery thread for the laces on her boots, which I don't think was the best choice ever, the strands are made to separate.  Her hair was interesting.  I started with the cap of Sailor Moon's hair, same bangs and everything.  I added a chain 10 strand on either side of the bangs.  the ponytail was the difficult part because I didn't have any kind of pattern for it, I just had to make it up.  This is what I did:

FIRST! I made some changes to the cap simply because this brown yarn was the Hobby Lobby yarn so I knew it would be too big.  to create the cap normally you do 6 sc in magic ring; 2 sc in each st around; 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st around; 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 sts around; 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 3 st around; sc around four times.  I changed the "2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts around" to "2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 st around". the cap ends up about two stitches smaller, which is perfect.  this may not be relevant if you're not using different brand yarns, but I may need it for others of the senshi.

now, the repeated rows of slip stitches on top of eachother become very difficult and by the time I got to the decreasing I'd lost several, probably just skipped over them.  I think I had three left by the time I got to the 'dc around' row.  it worked out fine.  Now, I did not make a note of where I started the ponytail at, so the exact order of your stitches might be difficult. I believe I started to the right of what would be the front center.  The important thing is the eight stitches on top of the pony tail are dc and the stitches on the bottom half are slip stitches.  that's what makes it curve like that.

(stuff ponytail as you go along)
pick up about eight stitches in a circle at the center of the cap. like I said, join to the right of the top center.
        (ex: if you're looking at the top of the cap it looks like spiral.  if you draw a cross over the spiral- + -you'd start on the right arm of it.)
sc in each stitch around. (8)
2 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 6 sts (10)
ch2, 2 dc in next st 4 times, sc in each of next 6 sts, sl st into first dc (14)
ch2, dc in each of the next 8 sts, sl st into each of the next 6, sl st into first dc
repeat previous round
ch2, dc in each of next 2 sts, dc2tog 2 times, dc in next 2 sts, sl st next 6 sts, (to the end) sl st into first dc (12)
ch2, dc in each of the next 8 sts, sl st into each of the next 4, sl st into first dc (12)
repeat previous round 3 more times (12)
ch2, dc in each st around, sl st into first dc (10- like I said, I lost some stitches)
ch2, dc in next st, dc2tog, repeat around, sl st into first dc (6?)
ch2,  dc2tog around, sl st into first dc (3)
ch2, dc2tog once, sl st into first dc (1)
ch 10 off tip of ponytail.

I'm sorry that's not clearer, my notes are not very clear either. I think I forgot to write some things down as I was going... oops.  but like I said before, the main idea is the top slightly-more-than-half stitches are double crochets and the rest are slip stitches, to make it curve.  then you just decrease as you go to make a point.  Hey, if I figured it out, so can you. :D If you have any questions, ask, I'll be more than happy to help.

also, her green hair bobbles are 3 sc worked in a magic ring, then sc in each stitch around once.


Sailor Venus is next!

No comments:

Post a Comment